Patients at risk for developing pulmonary embolisms that are not able to take anticoagulant medications may find themselves receiving an Inferior Vena Cava (IVC) filter. Unfortunately, since they first hit the market in 2005, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has received nearly 1,000 adverse event reports (AERS) involving IVC filters. In the vast majority of these cases, IVC filters have been reported to fragment and embolize in the body, which can lead to serious health complications including heart, lung and vena cava damage, internal bleeding, respiratory distress, and many other serious side effects.
Free IVC Filter Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury after being implanted with an IVC filter, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help.
What’s the Problem with IVC Filters?
IVC filters are small, umbrella-shaped devices used in patients at risk for pulmonary embolisms who are unable to take anticoagulant medications. They work as a safety net that is placed into the inferior vena cava, a large vein that carries oxygen-depleted blood from the lower half of the body into the right atrium of the heart. Once in place, the IVC filter is designed to catch any blood clots that may form in the lower body before they travel to the lungs to become life-threatening pulmonary embolisms.
IVC filters are manufactured by many different companies and come in a variety of different types (see below), but two filters in particular made by C.R. Bard – the Recovery and G2 filters – are currently being investigated by the FDA for dangerous side effects and adverse health complications. Since they were first approved for use on the U.S. market in 2005, these filters have been named in approximately 1,000 AERS submitted to the FDA. Mounting research and numerous case studies have revealed that Bard IVC filters have the tendency to break down in the body, sending pieces of the device into the patient’s veins. When this occurs, the broken IVC filters can wreak havoc on the body, resulting in a number of serious, potentially life-threatening side effects.
IVC Filter Side Effects
Serious side effects of IVC filters have been reported to include:
- Fracture of the IVC filter
- Perforation, Puncture or Serious Damage to the Heart, Lungs or Vena Cava
- Internal Bleeding
- Cardiac or Pericardial Tamponade
- Ventricle Tachycardia
- Lower Limb DVT
- Hematoma or Nerve Injury at the Puncture Site
- Constant and Severe Pain in the Heart, Chest or Elsewhere in the Body
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Respiratory Distress
- Shortness of Breath
Due to an abnormally high number of adverse event reports involving these types of injuries, the FDA urged physicians to advise potential IVC filter candidates of the risks and benefits of the devices prior to implanting them, and to remove them in patients once symptoms have subsided.
IVC Filter Manufacturers
- Bard Peripheral Vascular, Inc./Bard
- Cook Medical, Inc.
- ALN Implants Chirurgicaux
- B. Brain Medical, Inc.
- Boston Scientific
- Cordis Coportation, a Johnson & Johnson company
- Crux Biomedical
- Rafael Medical Technologies
Types of IVC Filters (Non-Comprehensive List)
- Simon Nitinol Filter and G2 Vena Cava Filter (Bard)
- Celect Vena Cava Filter (Cook Medical)
- Gunther Tulip Filter (Cook Medical)
- Gunther Basket Filter (Cook Medical)
- Crux Vena Cava Filter (Crux Biomedical)
- Gianturco-Roehm Bird’s Nest Vena Cava Filter (Crux Medical)
- Greenfield Filter (Boston Scientific)
- Option Vena Cava Filter (Angiotech)
- Recoverable ALN filter (ALN Implants)
- Recovery Nitinol Filter (ALN Implants)
- SafeFlo Vena Cava Filter (Rafael Medical Technologies)
- TrapEase and Optease (Cordis Johnson & Johnson)
- Vena Tech Filters (B. Braun)
Do I Have an IVC Filter Lawsuit?
The Medical Device Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in IVC filter lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new injury lawsuits in all 50 states.
Free IVC Filter Lawsuit Evaluation: Again, if you or a loved one suffered a serious injury after being implanted with an IVC filter, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help.